Brief History of Haywood Mission Institute

It all started in 1931 when a native-born Liberia, Mrs. M.C Bennette, who was taken away from her people as a slave to America at very tender age, re-sailed to Liberia West coast of Africa and set the blueprint an institution which is today widely acknowledged for its role in molding the minds of young Liberians into useful and patriotic citizens from the shackles of backwardness and ignorance. The institution-"The Haywood Mission Institute" is today one of the oldest and most reputable institutions of learning in the Republic of Liberia. The name Haywood was given in honor of Bishop G.T. Haywood, a renowned American Negro minister of the Gospel, who devoted his life to the welfare of humanity. Bishop Haywood died on April 12, 1931.

It was during this state of affairs when Mrs. Sarah Barclay, wife of former Liberia President Arthur Barclay came to the United States of America and at the time Mrs. Bennette had the opportunity to explain to Mrs. Barclay the condition under which she had been brought to the United States. It was that very year (1931) that Mrs. Bennette, of the Vai Tribe, returned to Liberia.

Afterwards, negotiations were made for her return to Liberia to re-acquaint herself with her homeland and to contribute her quota to the upliftment of her people from illiteracy. When Mrs. Bennette returned to Liberia in 1931, she later discovered her parents of Vai Tribe in South-West Liberia. The parents in turn discovered their child through a Liberian traditional mark.

In the same, she met with members of the Vai community at the time residing on the Old Road - on the out skirts of Monrovia, to negotiate for the purchase of 10 acres of land - an agreement which became finalized that same year.